Blinkers don't flash

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Blinkers don't flash

Post by devenex »

So today I decided to put some time into trying to get the blinkers in my Aero functioning. Before today the switch would have no effect (i.e. no lighting whatsoever), so I started my inspection with the relay. I pulled the relay and opened it up to find to obvious problems, until I more closely inspected the exterior contacts for the wiring. Seeing a dull gray layer of oxidation I sanded it away and reconnected everything.

Now I have lights that don't flash. The correct side will light up when switched, but not blink.

All four bulbs light up as well as the indicator in the console. The front housing and bulbs are all brand new as well, so I'm not expecting any problems there. I am running w/o a battery, but no amount of RPM's is leading to flashing whereas my spree w/ no battery just needs a little throttle to bring them back to life.

What do you guys think?
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Blinkers don't flash

Post by odinxxix »

im thinking that the relay is bad,try one from the auto parts store cheap n easy and im not talking about me.LOL
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

yah auto relay man. i tore my stock relay apart and found 2 oz of rust inplace of what shoulda been the innerds of a TS relay. lol Pulled the one outa my beater truck (standard 2 post typical round blinker) plugged it in and TADAH!! i had blinking of lights at both ends and on the dash! btw, the audible blinking indicator is LOUD on my spree. lol ppl beside me can easily hear it blinkin!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Sure flasher is suspect.

If you want to rule out one more cause - put a meter on the battery with your signals on. If the voltage low, then this might be causing your problem - I've found the Honda flasher does not flash well from around the low 10.x volt and below.

If the volts are low, you could try a cap like elitedio runs.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Thats a good thing to check wheels. I'm just assuming that the voltage is high enough when revving, but definitely can't hurt to verify that.
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I would say that you probably have a bad/loose/missing flasher.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I checked the voltage and its at least 12V, so that checked out.

Then I went to a couple auto parts stores today and nobody could match a relay up to it, any more info on these inexpensive substitutes?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You don't want a matching relay. You want a two pin, actually spade connector, car flasher. I've never been in an auto parts store that didn't have a minimum of a dozen of the things.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

its just a standard 12V auto turn signal relay, 2 spade terminals, you should be able to find one in the section where the light bulbs are.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I got one like this - for about $6 at Auto Zone. It will not directly flash LED only signals, but can be made to work with smaller load resistors than a standard flasher.

The flag terminals fit a stock Honda wiring harness laying around. There is no wiring diagram with the flasher, but will double check tonight. I think the "X" is power side (Black wire on the Honda harness), "L" is the lamp side (Gray on Honda harness).

Edit: Confirmed - "X" to Black (switched +12v), "L" to Gray.

Others looking for an alternate flasher: The 2 pin flasher fits the Aero 50 like devenex's. Sprees 84-86 are 2 pin, 87 is 3 pin. The 88-2002 Elite SA50 use a 3 pin flasher. Wiring could be changed to work but check out 3 pin auto flashers first. They may plug right in.

Safety: The stock flasher gives a visible indication if one signal lamp is out - it does not flash. This particular flasher continues to operate and flashes at the same rate. So verify lamp operation periodically.
Flasher.JPG
Flasher.JPG (19.35 KiB) Viewed 11093 times
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Thx wheels! That pic helps a ton. The guy at NAPA just tried pulling numbers off the relay when I handed it to him, not listening to me ask about car relays with the same connectors. Couldn't find anything on his computer (of course) so I decided to try someplace else with who would listen a little better.

Next place was helpful, lady went and looked at all in stock relays and none had the same connectors. This is when I decided to give up looking for the day.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mousewheels wrote:I got one like this - for about $6 at Auto Zone. It will not directly flash LED only signals, but can be made to work with smaller load resistors than a standard flasher.

The flag terminals fit a stock Honda wiring harness laying around. There is no wiring diagram with the flasher, but will double check tonight. I think the "X" is power side (Black wire on the Honda harness), "L" is the lamp side (Gray on Honda harness).
Flasher.JPG
That's the trouble with the nitwits behind the counter at auto parts stores. They know nothing except to look your part up by part number or year, make, model, etc. Otherwise they are useless if you are doing any DIY or hot rodding.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
mousewheels wrote:I got one like this - for about $6 at Auto Zone. It will not directly flash LED only signals, but can be made to work with smaller load resistors than a standard flasher.

Flasher.JPG
That's the trouble with the nitwits behind the counter at auto parts stores. They know nothing except to look your part up by part number or year, make, model, etc. Otherwise they are useless if you are doing any DIY or hot rodding.
I worked at Western Auto when I was younger, I have worked at Autozone twice and have been offered a position back for a third time at any time that I want it.

I was the Manager of the Parts Dept. of a big Ford/Lincoln dealership and worked at Autozone part time for extra cash since it was easy and was only 6 blocks away.

Before you start calling all of those people that work at those parts stores names, why dont you go show them up?

Parts stores like those would love to hire somebody that knows it all like you do to work for them for minimum wage.

That is the reason why it is hard to find somebody knowledgeable in a parts store, because they do not pay them much money.

How many trained mechanics are there out there that want to work for minimum wage?

Forget it, call them nitwits all you want because you sir are an idiot.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

In the last two months I have had the O'Reilly morons screw up 3 times and the Autozone guys screw up once. I quit using the local NAPA guys years ago, because if it wasn't a log truck they didn't have a clue. So the new breed of parts men (and I use the term very loosely) knows nothing about cars, engines or anything else that their computer doesn't tell them. Your chances of finding different are about the same odds as winning a Super Ball Lotto.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Bear45-70 wrote:In the last two months I have had the O'Reilly morons screw up 3 times and the Autozone guys screw up once. I quit using the local NAPA guys years ago, because if it wasn't a log truck they didn't have a clue. So the new breed of parts men (and I use the term very loosely) knows nothing about cars, engines or anything else that their computer doesn't tell them. Your chances of finding different are about the same odds as winning a Super Ball Lotto.
You don't get it though. It is just about every other thread that you reply to that you call someone a name.

The s*** is old man, almost as old as you are. OMG the guy behind the counter screwed up! More than likely that guy is making minimum wage and if not it is not much more than that.

You are just as much an idiot as the next person that walks out of a parts store with the wrong part. If you do not know what you are doing or do not know if you bought the right part then dont.

Dont work on your own stuff or send somebody to the parts store for you that knows what they are doing so that the right part gets purchased. The person behind the counter is just doing their job, if thats what the computer tells them will work then that is what they try to sell you. It is called a job, they are doing what they are supposed to do.

If you get the wrong part, thats not their fault its your fault because you should of known if it was the right part from looking at it, if it was the wrong part you should give it back to them and say I'm sorry but that is not the part that fits my application.

If they do not find you the right part then go somewhere else.

Blaming the people at parts stores that they screwed up. Get real man. The only one that screwed up was you.