How to keep Spree petcock in place?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Fishman43
Elite
Elite

How to keep Spree petcock in place?

Post by Fishman43 »

As I start in on the process of making replacement Spree petcock covers, can anyone suggest improvements to keep them in place better so they don't pop off?

Since I don't actually own a Spree (yet :naughty: ), photos would be help.

Thanks
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: How to keep Spree petcock in place?

Post by Lunytune »

Fishman43 wrote:As I start in on the process of making replacement Spree petcock covers, can anyone suggest improvements to keep them in place better so they don't pop off?
Since I don't actually own a Spree (yet :naughty: ), photos would be help.
Good Question. I only have one Spree and haven't had a problem with that, but did lose the Radiator Coolant tank cover on my Helix. It was a windy Spring day and some how wind popped it out. Went back and looked but never found it.

So can you fabricate a replacement cover for the Helix?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I could try if given enough detail of what was needed, but it would be tough.

The Spree petcock cover will be molded from an original piece. That makes it a lot easier!
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

once ya get em made, post a ppicture, and ill buy one and help ya figure out best way!! lol sell em as a kit!!

oh and i'm not lookin to benefit from it, i just want a * cover!! cuz i found me a seat lock!! wooooooo!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

think if you could mold in a tab that is strong enuff to withstane that jolt of the bumps that would do it. but this is what i use
DSC00044.JPG
DSC00044.JPG (31.27 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

odinxxix wrote:think if you could mold in a tab that is strong enuff to withstane that jolt of the bumps that would do it. but this is what i use
DSC00044.JPG
I did the same thing, except I had an 1/8" rubber washer of a large enough diameter to retain the cover. The scooter is in my lower shop and I d*** well am not goin' out in the rain to take a picture. Any washer would work but the rubber one does not scar anything up and it has worked since 1985 as I still have the original cover.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

There is a similar retainer in the Wiki http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ip_-_Spree I'll add the others that you are posting.

If you are going to make petcock covers, perhaps a latch can be made to clamp to the inside of the plastic. Like a quarter turn captive spring loaded screw with tab at the end?
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

How about if you make the tab into the new one? Since the part you're making isn't OEM then you don't have to feel too guilty about improving on it.

I just bought a new cover myself, and I decided I was going to silicone on a lanyard cable on the back and attach it to that stud above.

BTW, how can I help in your project? Can I suggest making a few carbon fiber replacements? That's be an upgrade from stock. I'd want one.

RZ Rob
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

the molding idea is good, but kinda hard without knowing exactly HOW it'll turn out...but if it were long enough to go UP UNDER the main platics, and tie into the stud above it..tht would be neato. mounting tab would prolly need slotted, rather than an actual hole..although hole may work too..

now wheelmans idea sounds good aswell, ive seen this method alot on sleds, a few quads, and even on vehicles.. (mainnly late 90's to early 2000 blazers and trucks made my chevy...refering to the trap door up front that allows access to the remote oil filter)..now something of this setup would prolly need a small hole drilled into the metal behind cover? maybe? lol or into the plastic :shock:

now onto bears idea, and odin's..so far it looks effective. and i agree with bear, a rubber gromit around a washer, OR under the washer would prevent paint removal due to vibration..(since the spree rides like a caddy and all...ya know..lol)

the silicone cable idea leaves me leary though..(sorry rob, great idea, but i dont use silicone unless i gotta. lol) there might be an issue with adhearing it to the plastic, but then again, i have no real idea for sure..* it might setup like freakin jb weld for all i know.

anyhow, atleast we're all thinkin about this..and all the ideas are good ones. we'll all figure something out, or all do it our own way..either way..WE'RE GONNA HAVE COVERS!!!! WOOO :rock:
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Rather than silicone, why not cast a small boss on the back side of the cover and drill a hole in it. Then either loop the lanyard thru the hole or screw the lanyard to the boss.
Last edited by Bear45-70 on Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Great ideas, this should be an easy problem to solve with all of the input. As I start making them we can work to find what soloution works best.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

odinxxix wrote:think if you could mold in a tab that is strong enuff to withstane that jolt of the bumps that would do it. but this is what i use
DSC00044.JPG
Plasti-dip.

http://www.plastidip.com/img/photos/plasti1.jpg
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
RZRob
Goped
Goped

Post by RZRob »

I liked MiniCooperS's idea (thanks Fighting Plankton), so I made this from a piece of aluminum flatstock I had laying around. Very solid and looks low key. I might paint it red when/if I paint the cover.

RZ Rob