1987 SE50 naked scooter project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

1987 SE50 naked scooter project

Post by TiffanySpree »

I scored an SE50 parts bike without plastics. So, I've decided to build a naked scooter. Sort of a Ruckus styled Elite.

The build progress is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyuzon/set ... 350214757/

Basically, it will have a stock motor with mild mods. I've put a Unifilter, 90 jet, removed variator speed limiter plate, 90/90-10 tires. I only have the 11:1 gears but theoretically I should be good for 45mph if I hit close to 8k. I based it on calculations. Cosmetically, it will have Metro graphite rims, front fork, diamond plate floorboard, MTB stem and straight bars. At the moment the motor is done (honed stock cylinder, mild exhaust porting, new stock piston & rings). After getting it all on the frame, it wouldn't fire due to a bad exciter coil (open). I tore it all down while looking for a replacement stator. Today, I blasted the frame and will have it painted by tonight. I also painted the Metro fork clamp lower, the centerstand, rear handle, stock exhaust, heatshield and the front lower bracket. I've also cut up the harness to clean it up since it will be exposed. Electrically, I removed the turn signals, high beam, oil level & kill switch. Also, I moved the bystarter resistor towards the rear. There was a lot of redundant splices that could be relocated. I'll re-tape it all when it's on the frame and cleaned up. I'll also cut down the big fat stock seat. Maybe something thinner and smaller like the Ruckus. I have yet to pick a headlight and taillight.
----
1986 NQ50d Spree Tiffany green/white - wifeys. Currently modding to get more *!
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1987 SE50 naked scooter project

Post by mousewheels »

That's pretty good :thumbwink:
Also, I moved the bystarter resistor towards the rear. There was a lot of redundant splices that could be relocated. I'll re-tape it all when it's on the frame and cleaned up
I don't know of many who undo all the tape for re-splicing and to move a resistor. Yet on a bare bones, I can see how wire routing is part of a 100% project.

BTW - Post some pics of the Mrs NQ50D sometime too.
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Yeah, that's a bit picky of me. But being an electrical engineer, it's an easy task and having an efficient electrical system is part of my job. As a hobby, I like taking things apart and (hopefully) re-engineer it better.

I'll be heading back to Cali to pick up the Spree in May. Pics will come soon.
----
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Ok, here are some pics of my naked SE50. I already have progress pics on my Flickr page (in my sig). But I figure most people won't click there. So, I'll post some directly. I still need to cover the cut down seat. It will have red stitching! It came out pretty cool looking! I recently changed the belt and gained about 4mph. I'm still breaking in the new piston and rings (honed original cylinder). So, it has about 80 miles since. Not completely WOT but it hit 38mph at about 7000 rpm. The only mods are slight exhaust port grinding, UNI filter partially closed, 88 main jet, removed speed limiter plate and 90-90-10 tires on Metro rims. The suspension is front Metro forks and rear Ruckus shock. I'm running 40:1 premix on Honda GN2 with the oil pump connected.

One question I had about break-in. When the rings seat after break-in, does it rev it higher due to better sealing? Everyone talks about not applying WOT during break-in but no one explains why. What really happens during break-in with the rings and cylinder? I think that the rings become precisely matched to the cylinder. How do you know that the motor is broken in? Does it rev higher, have more power, or what? I think that it will due to the rings sealing better. Before that, is the compression down because there are micro gaps between the rings and cylinder? Can't you tell I'm an engineer? :smile: :urban:
----
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

Looks cool! I was thinking recently about getting panels for my naked Spree, but I like the way you pulled this off!
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Thanks! I would have kept panels had it come with them. They are hard to find as it is. But, yes, it came out pretty cool. Ruckus like...
----
caferacer
Noob
Noob

Post by caferacer »

I'm glad I came across this thread, I am doing something similar with a bare se50.
This winter I found a 1987 se50 not-running "parts" scooter with no body and decided it was worth the $50 the guy wanted.
So far I have done some of the same things you have though I am limited in my workspace/tools/time/motivation and probably won't put as much work into mine as you have.
I'll post in the technical help forum since I'm still having ignition issues (I'm starting to think its the ignition coil I just need to test it)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice work T.S. I dig the bare-bones look.

Since you went to the trouble of swapping forks, why not a disc front? Maybe it's better, surely cheaper to use what's handy.

Also you might want to thin that premix ratio a tad. That much oil can make for a tricky-to-jet lean mixture.

Don't axt me to Show My Work or even repeat the calculations, but several of us got together a while back and figured out that the right Premix ratio with a working pump was around 70:1. Thankfully some of the Concensus Cognisenti had actual Math Skills. Maybe The Mouse can chime in with an elegant and eloquent representation of the formula, but the total ends up being 30:1 with the pump adding its max contribution at WOT.

I've used between 65 and 80:1 wthout issues when I ran a pump on my 65cc SE/05 builds.

Nice work, Dawg!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Thanks, Wheelman! And thanks for the carb and other advice. Actually, I mis-spoke. For the pre-mix, I meant the total would be 32:1. I mixed 2 oz oil in a one gallon jug (64:1). I just guestimated that the pump provided the other 64:1. At the beginning, I had 32:1 premix and it smoked heavy and eventually stalled. I pulled the plug and it was oily. That's when I cut the pre-mix in half. 70:1 works out to 1.8 oz, so it's pretty close. Thanks for the confirmation. So do I change it after break-in or just stick to it? I thought I needed more oil during break-in?

Yeah, for the front, I used what was easiest. I like to mod bikes, but if it was going to be too involved, I'd rather ride it now and maybe consider it later. For 40mph, the front drum is good enough.
----
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

At 50cc even ported you shouldn't need to add oil at all. The added premix is supposed to compensate for the BB-kitted 65cc. May not hurt to break it in a little sweeter, but maybe start adding straight gas after the first tank or 2.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Ok, will do.
----
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

I think the stock oiler is 50:1.
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Good info! I also heard one drop every 5 seconds (at idle?).
----
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

I just got the seat back from a local upholsterer! Awesome job!

----
MopedMark
Elite
Elite

Post by MopedMark »

Make sure that you put the rest of your cooling shroud on. If you run it without the top end shroud you will fry the piston and rings.