Malossi Multivar Fitting

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Malossi Multivar Fitting

Post by WeeMan »

Just fitting the above to my AF05E engine. It all seems to go on ok but the boss seems to be about 1/2mm too short. This makes the front pulley loose even when fully tight. Should I use the original boss off the stock variator or put two washers on before I do up the nut on the pulley. I have tried the stock boss but it seems too tight.
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Re: Malossi Multivar *

Post by WeeMan »

Just to add I have tried one shim but it seems like the belt will catch on it. Does anyone have any advice?
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

where are you putting the shims? put them behind the vari. just make sure that you dont put the belt in a bind.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

Made a shim today 1mm in total but its done the trick I think. The belt is clear every where and straight. Just have to get a new jet for my carb and a couple of gaskets and it will be time to give it start. Fingers crossed it works. However I've done quite a bit so won't be suprised if somethings not as it should. :wink: :wink:
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Mallosi vari is made for zx trans
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

Whats zx transmision?
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

Use the search
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

I did try the search but it was not clear what the differences are. I will have another look and see if I can work it out.
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

What is the part number of the Malossi variator you are using? You probably have part number 51 7073. That variator is NOT made for the ZX trans. It is made for the small crankshaft Dio. Which is the same diameter as the AF05 crank but yes the drive boss is a different length so some kind of shimming would be required. Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

Hi Keith,

Yes it is the 7073. Should I have had the 7072 instead? The boss is about 1mm too short but I have put a 1mm shim behind the back of the variator so it still keeps the vari straight with the rear pully. The only issue I can see is that the belt may go a fraction less to the bottom of the front pulley but as soon as the belt wears 1mm then it should be the same? The shim at the back should not cause a problem should it?

Cheers

Danny
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

WeeMan wrote:Hi Keith,

Yes it is the 7073. Should I have had the 7072 instead? The boss is about 1mm too short but I have put a 1mm shim behind the back of the variator so it still keeps the vari straight with the rear pully. The only issue I can see is that the belt may go a fraction less to the bottom of the front pulley but as soon as the belt wears 1mm then it should be the same? The shim at the back should not cause a problem should it?

Cheers

Danny
I have never had a 51 7072 in my hands so im not sure how its different.
As for the 51 7073 I have never fitted one on a af05 before. Here are my thoughts. Im not sure where you are putting your shim.

I would find a washer with the same inner diameter as the drive boss and as thick as it needs to be to make up the length you are short. Put that washer in between the drive boss and the ramp plate. So it would go ramp plate, washer, drive boss, pulley. Its a little tricky to do but I have done it before on a af16 to use a stock af16 boss with a ZX trans.
The second option would be to bring the pulley to a machine shop and have them clearance the Malossi pulley to use the stock AF05 drive boss. If you find the right shop It wouldnt cost but a couple of bucks.

Unfortunately Malossi doesnt make a variator for the AF05 at least that I found. Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Post by WeeMan »

I made a shim the correct size but I have put it behind the ramp plate. I can easily move it. I have got malossi technical on the case as well beause they believe the 5073 should fit no problem. I suppose the shim will do the trick but if I can get a boss the correct length it would be a bonus. I asked about the 5072 and its totally different. its about 1.5mm longer which is probably what I need but the inner and outer diameters are far too big. Thanks for the help.