sad day in scooter land

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

sad day in scooter land

Post by stucinthe80z »

well sunday i put a sb reed valve new tires spark plug new belt on my spree sooter i am the original and 2 owner of the same spree i wanted it in good repair when i went on the upcoming club rides i was thinking of replacing the fuel and vacum hoses but did not well long story short the very secound it turned the odomiter to 1500 it started to lose rpms and and a full throtle it wold bog and die like it was starving for gas but it would do 5 to 10 mph on its own well the good thing was i did not have to push it i just had to walk by it as made our wa the mile and a half i had left to go home may by it was the tenth cout of wax i put on it or sunday when i was at the honda dealer and i took a test ride on a CH-120 fiddle my have made it angry but not as upset as my chinese wife owning i japinese scooter any way i forgot to mention i also put a new old stock honda air cleaner on this weekend and cleaned the carb last month when i got back on flat ground it did try to go 15 but i did not want to try wot if there was lack of fuel i did not want to lean run does any body know how long a petcoc lasts on one or fuel lines or may be dis loged some dirt from the fuel system i did not take the manifold off the carb and i used new hona gaskets when i put the reed valve in but on a good note the test ride after i did this i could feel the inprove ment and and the ride to work gave me no issuse i always let it warm 5 to ten minutes befor i ride it thank you for youre help on this issue and for youre suport sorry to all who had to comment on my writing . But i was pretty tired from pushing my scooter home .
I am the 1 and i am the 3 owner but i have had i long time . and this was the first time in 1500 miles it let me down.
Tonight i replaced the fuel lines and if the problem is still there tomorrow i will plan on taking apart the carb.
Last edited by stucinthe80z on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: sad day in scooter land

Post by zuphilius »

Any type of punctuation would help. That was way too hard to read, let alone comprehend.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

sounds like an air leak at the air box.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
motormike

Post by motormike »

I had to quit trying to read this and understand * your problem is.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

motormike wrote:I had to quit trying to read this and understand * your problem is.
His problem is he failed all his English classes. :jack:
Last edited by Bear45-70 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

stucinthe80z wrote:Well Sunday I put a SB reed valve, new tires, spark plug, new belt on my Spree scooter.

I am the original and 2 owner of the same Spree. I wanted it in good repair when I went on the upcoming club rides.

I was thinking of replacing the fuel and vacuum hoses but did not. Well long story short the very second it turned the odometer to 1500 it started to lose rpms and a full throttle it would bog and die like it was starving for gas. But it would do 5 to 10 mph on its own. Well the good thing was I did not have to push it. I just had to walk by it as we made our way the mile and a half I had left to go home. Maybe it was the tenth coat of wax I put on it or Sunday.

When I was at the Honda dealer and I took a test ride on a CH-120.

Fiddle may have made it angry. But not as upset as my Chinese wife owning a Japanese scooter.

Any way I forgot to mention I also put a new old stock Honda air cleaner on this weekend and cleaned the carb last month.

When I got back on flat ground it did try to go 15 but I did not want to try WOT. If there was lack of fuel, I did not want to lean run.

Does anybody know how long a petcock lasts on one? Or fuel lines or may be dislodged some dirt from the fuel system.

I did not take the manifold off the carb and I used new Honda gaskets when I put the reed valve in. But on a good note the test ride after I did this I could feel the improvement and the ride to work gave me no issues. I always let it warm 5 to ten minutes before I ride it.

Thank you for your help on this issue and for your support
Maybe some debris got dislodged when the carb was removed for the reed swap? Carb clean may help.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

lol its still readable, you just have to be smart enough to put the punctuation in while your reading it lmao.
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
motormike

Post by motormike »

stucinthe80z wrote: I am the original and 2 owner of the same Spree.

Excuse me while I ponder the possibilities of HOW this might have happened.... :bowrofl:
Your description was challenging, but agree with mousewheeels, debris causing intermittent fuel-starve.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

motormike wrote:
stucinthe80z wrote: I am the original and 2 owner of the same Spree.

Excuse me while I ponder the possibilities of HOW this might have happened.... :bowrofl:
Your description was challenging, but agree with mousewheeels, debris causing intermittent fuel-starve.

I have met him in person and sold him some parts. He sold his Spree long ago but got it back. This is how it is a 2 owner bike, and he is the original owner. Does that make sense?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

sad day in sooter land part 2

Post by stucinthe80z »

. I am still suffering affect of the breakdown i had
i cleaned my carb out and marty told me it was mot clean enough.
so i cleaned it again it ran very very good i made it up my hill .
i put 25 miles on it during the week (life was good in scooter land ) and as i rode to work today the bloddy thing broke down today same place but going to work so after work .and getting home with a coworker laughing all the way.
I grabed my truck aand brought it home.
I foung that i did not have the screw that holds the flote in tight enough and it backed out .
After i fixed the problem and restarted it i found that i am leaking fuel again .
i will take it apart again and try to fix the problem
az_slynch
Spree
Spree

Re: sad day in sooter land part 2

Post by az_slynch »

Sympathies, dude.

I have a friend locally who has the worst scooter karma I've ever seen. He also has an affinity for previously-well-thrashed bikes that are one tire in the grave upon acquisition. If there is a weakness in a motor, he'll find it. His record for killing an engine is 20 minutes. You'd think that would be enough to discourage anyone...

Still, he goes out for the bikes and rides. He enjoys the ride and isn't too put off by the mechanical challenges that haunt him. It's a good attitude, IMHO. And the constant scooter hunting has netted him some decent bikes at a good price ('05 Honda Big Ruckus for $300 and a 2012 Genuine Stella 4T for $300). The upshot is, don't get too discouraged...payin' the dues may suck, but sometimes it's worth it to enjoy the ride afterwards.

As for the carb, It could be leaking for a few reasons. Check the o-ring-style gasket that goes between the fuel bowl and the carb body for cuts or punctures. Check the fuel bowl for cracks. Check the fuel drain screw to make sure it seats properly and make sure that the o-ring that goes in there is in good order. The seal and o-ring kit is NLA unless you buy a float bowl kit (pricey), so handle with care. Check the float needle tip; should be a smooth rubber point with no ridges or steps on it. Check the float needle seat (in the body of the carb) for and crud or corrosion. Make sure that the float moves easily on it's shaft when installed. Make sure that your vacuum tap is working right, too.
'64 Vespa 90 (V9A1)
'65 Allstate Compact (DS60)
'74 Vespa 125 Primavera (VMA2)
'81 Vespa P200E (VSX1) (2)
'83 Yamaha Riva (XC180K) (2)
'84 Yamaha Riva (CV80L)
'85 Honda Spree (NQ50)
'86 Honda Gyro S (TG50)
'87 Honda Elite (CH80)
'89 Honda Elite E (SB50P)
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

put a little smear of grease around the rubber gasket on the bottom of the carb befor you put the bowl back on this will help the seal
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

polish the seat for the float valve and check the float make sure it actually does float, put it in a little cup of gas. I always gently blow in the fuel inlet when I put a carb back together and gently lift the float to the position it is supposed to be at to shut the off the flow of fuel. If the gentle air stops then the set up may be working. it will show you if there is a major flaw in the float valve or seat has debris jammed in there.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

I add my sympathies. a sick scooter is a hard thing to cope with. mine was pure joy for the fist month... now, it is sitting for the 3rd month now, waiting for a devine intervention. Talk to bear directly. He is the guru here, imho.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

paulpauly7 wrote:put a little smear of grease around the rubber gasket on the bottom of the carb befor you put the bowl back on this will help the seal
It's an o-ring seal, if it is bad, grease will just be washed away by the gas. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree