PLEASE HELP! Resurrecting 1987 SE50P Elite and derestriction

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

PLEASE HELP! Resurrecting 1987 SE50P Elite and derestriction

Post by martynkim »

Ok I bought this 87 Elite. The clutch was blown and the front wheel was bent, he wanted $40 for it so.... I bought it.
So I got a clutch from VT Cycles and installed it. I thought I want to hear this thing run! so I stole my battery from my 86 Spree and threw it in. the starter would turn but only about 1 revolution. then would only go TICK. If I turn back the bendix gear it would turn again just the same. Also once I reinstalled the cover with the kick start I couldn't push it down. I got scared and thought seized motor. so I pulled the kick cover back off and turned the gear where the starter connects by hand and I could turn it! YEA! (I hope) So.... If any of you have any suggestions on WT@#$!! is wrong with it PLEASE HELP!!! I don't know if my battery had a full charge or if it has enough juice to turn over an Elite but.... Once I reinstalled my battery in the Spree it wouldn't start. So I kicked it and let it run until it would start again. Although I really tried alot on the Elite and may have drained it partially. Batttery should be in good condition I bought it new in October. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Attachments
php4udjI5PM.jpg
php4udjI5PM.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 13357 times
Last edited by martynkim on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post by Flea_Biskit »

Why can't you kick start the elite? Get that fixed.

Charge the battery with a charger less than 2 amps then try again.
Ride it like you stole it'
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

it sounds like the previous owner fiddled with the kickstart mechanism inside the belt cover. my guess is that it is jammed into the front drive pulley keeping it from turning while the drive cover is on. and when the drive cover is on the starter wont be able to turn the front drive pulley because the kick start spring/is jammed into it. if you take the cover off it might look of but really actually be a little off. here are some pictures of mine, i have it dissasembled now because im doing a build so i snapped a couple pictures for you.
if this isnt the problem then good luck!
Attachments
kicker cover 2.jpg
kicker cover 2.jpg (122.36 KiB) Viewed 13709 times
kicker cover.jpg
kicker cover.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 13704 times
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

martynkim wrote:Ok I bought this 87 Elite. The clutch was blown and the front wheel was bent, he wanted $40 for it so.... I bought it. starter would turn but only about 1 revolution. then would only go TICK. If I turn back the bendix gear it would turn again just the same. Also once I reinstalled the cover with the kick start I couldn't push it down. I got scared and thought seized motor. so I pulled the kick cover back off and turned the gear where the starter connects by hand and I could turn it!
Is the gasket for the cover missing or messed up? Sounds like cover is causing binding. Been there.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Gasket is not messed up looks fine. I know I messed around moving the gear for the kickstart along as the spring I'm gonna try and match the the pictures
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Yeah, get the kick-start mechanism working first, can you move the kick lever by hand with cover off?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I can move the kick on the cover. I'm not sure hoe it eorkd on the bike.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

how it works on the bike. ( I mean)
DaylightDies
Spree
Spree

Post by DaylightDies »

Sounds like a dead battery. When the battery is dead on my jog (using electric start) all it does is click. Try charging it at under 2 amps, and it should run fine once charged.
'98 Yamaha Jog Cy50k
'96 "Frankenstein" Japanese Jog Cy50
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

All I have is a trickle charger and a full on 12 volt charger. Should I use the trickle charger? Then wait how long?
DaylightDies
Spree
Spree

Post by DaylightDies »

martynkim wrote:All I have is a trickle charger and a full on 12 volt charger. Should I use the trickle charger? Then wait how long?
Either should work, my charger gets up to 16volts at times. Trickle charge is what i see recommended a lot though..

About an hour should do. Does either charger have a charge%? It should fire right up at 80%+
'98 Yamaha Jog Cy50k
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

No I got an super old school charger could be older than me and im 40 but it works. Then I have the trickle from harbor freight $5 never used it. Just got into this back in October and the guy at the battery shop said just start it about every 2 weeks. Well I haven't been that good about that cause I've been working on the 77 express and the 69 Z50 and keep forgetting. Now I have the Elite too many projects out of 4 2 run and only the spree runs good. my first that's what got me hooked.
DaylightDies
Spree
Spree

Post by DaylightDies »

Well leave it on for atleast an hour, my battery took about 6hrs to charge from completely dead.
Just keep charging it, eventually it will turn over, once you hear it acctually firing normally just unhook the charger.
'98 Yamaha Jog Cy50k
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

nOW i'M JUST GONNA PUSH IT OFF A CLIFF. d*** CAPS LOCK I tried to align my parts like the pictures shown and I could get like a 1/2 kick. Then it would bind and wouldn't move so I removed the cover again. Aligned the parts again and now bolts are snapping off. Ineed to get an ez out and some NEW bots I guess. I also bought a brand new battery, Installed it and I got the same thing as before. I can't imagine that installing this cover is that difficult but, I can't seem to get it to work! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

What bolts are snapping, the side cover bolts? Let me know before you push it off that cliff, i might have a working cover for you. I have an 87 elite motor with damaged crank, the rest is ok. Where are you located?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.