'87 Spree Resto Underway

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

gfontes
Noob
Noob

'87 Spree Resto Underway

Post by gfontes »

Hey all,

Been a long time lurker here, figured it was time to show my project. I picked up this '87 Spree on CraigsList for $50. It hadn't run in years and was on the side of a house under the eaves so it was somewhat protected.

So far I have basically been taking it apart and buying little bits here and there on Ebay and reading a lot on these forums.

After dis-assembly, I found the jug was worn beyond spec so I got Taz's 44mm BBK. I cleaned up the aluminum a bit...

and cooked out the gunk in my muffler, (note the flame coming out of the exhaust pipe in the lower left)

I haven't weighed it yet, but I'll post the before and after weight's of the muffler.

George
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: '87 Spree Resto Underway

Post by zuphilius »

gfontes wrote:I cleaned up the aluminum a bit...

That's shiny! I'd love to see it if you did more than just a bit!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Great Freakin job on the polishing! How'd ya do it in your garage? I've been looking to get results like that but havent been able to yet...

Cant wait to see the rest of her!

OH and BTW welcome to the forum :hi:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth GFontes:
I cleaned up the aluminum a bit...(Emphasis added.)
In the same sense as Rod Blagojevich is in a bit of legal trouble, and David Hasselhoff likes his hootch a bit too much, yeah. :)
Hold your ear to the ground to hear Honda-san himself weeping with joy from beyond the grave. That Spree of yours may never know how lucky it is... :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
gfontes
Noob
Noob

Post by gfontes »

:D Okay, a bit of a simplification on the aluminum cleaning. It was fairly involved.

I've always wanted to try this, For the painted side cover and front brake hub I used paint remover to take off the paint. I then used a 6" harbor freight grinder with a fine wire wheel on it and buffed all the areas I could reach. On the areas not reached with the wire wheel I used the red 3M synthetic pads and cut about 1.5" diameter circles and screwed them on the mandrel of my Dremel tool. At high RPM's, it really did the trick to clean and burnish up the aluminum. I sanded the dings out of the left side cover with progressively finer sandpaper up to about 1500 grit and then polished using the 6" buffer with cloth buffing wheels/compound and by hand.

George
gfontes
Noob
Noob

Post by gfontes »

Some more progress picts of my '87 resto. I'm not sure if this should go in the technical section or not but I'll start here.

These shots show two manifolds, one ported and one stock. I only touched up the upper portion as it appeared to be the choke point. I'd be interested to know how much other folks out there grind off.

This shows the repair process I used on the right crankcase where a screw tab was broken. I used JB weld to build up the missing ear. Typically I reinforce a repair like this using stainless steel mesh to increase the strength, but since this only holds the shroud I figured it would work with only the JB Weld.

These shots show a 44mm BBK from Taz with some very minor grinding of flash and casting marks. I'm not sure if this is enough to make a difference. For those of you who have done this, do you typically grind off more?

Here's a shot of the crankcase port. I attacked this with only a file, but think I will open this up a little bit more. A Dremel tool with carbide burr will open it up pretty quickly.

And finally, a little more polishing :smile:

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice work. It belongs in Builds.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

This is how much I opened mine up.

Try to make it as smooth as possible too.

Great work. Keep it up. :2thumbs:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
honderman1989
Noob
Noob

Post by honderman1989 »

ive got a spree bilt to the max cant get it fired up wants to fire but wont will u help me out ive got a 48mm bbk onit diff trans gears diff clutches performance exaust i have it jetted ive got a racing cdi box on it and a racing coil and thats pretty much it i think my stater is bad but not sure i had the head shaved had the intake bored and thats it i think ive got about 600 in to it and bought it for 140 dont know how fast it gose yet cant wait to find out but i think the stater is bad
Attachments
allen5.jpg
allen5.jpg (1.52 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
allen6.jpg
allen6.jpg (16.97 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
thats before i bilt it
thats before i bilt it
allen.jpg (14.57 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Last edited by honderman1989 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
honderman1989
Noob
Noob

Post by honderman1989 »

more parts i added
Attachments
allen4.jpg
allen4.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
allen2.jpg
allen2.jpg (6.23 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
allen1.jpg
allen1.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 5224 times
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

honderman1989 wrote: bad
Start your own thread about it and then people will try to help you. Your pictures here are just cluttering this other guys thread up. Can you remove them and start your own thread?
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

:*: is it just me or does honderman spree pic look familiar?, scroll down and look at the bottom banner. huh? and why would you buy a variator for a spree? :crazy:
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

odinxxix wrote::*: is it just me or does honderman spree pic look familiar?, scroll down and look at the bottom banner. huh? and why would you buy a variator for a spree? :crazy:

Agreed, looks very familiar. Boy hope daywot gave him instructions on how to install that Keli!
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts