AF16E Spree swap, summer project!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

AF16E Spree swap, summer project!

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

Alright i finally got smart and stopped posting all my questions in performance technical and figured i just make this on-going thread of what i have questions about. I have a 1984 Iowa Spree with the original motor that i have upgraded and will be put back together soon. I will ride this through the summer and probably into fall hopefully. My top speed is hopefully going to be 40mph which will get me through the summer. However, the main road going through our town is 55mph, so i snatched up a good deal on an AF16E locally. Im completely new to variators and dont know what im doing so hopefully, with the help of everyone, i can mod the engine and put it in my Spree to cruise at 55mph comfortably. The list i have of parts so far is this...

1. Polini Corsa
2. PG Long Exhaust
3. Keli Speed Variator
4. Keli Performance Clutch
5. SEF Ramp Plate
6. 17x41 secondaries (8.44:1)
7. 21mm OKO with CT mani and High Flow K&N
8. Main and Idle Jet Kits
9. 90/90 rear tire

This is as far as i have made it and any advice would be great. I dont know if what i have listed above is right with what i need. Also, i know I still need to figure out what contra spring, clutch springs, and roller weights i need but dont know how to do this. I know roller weights i just need to experiment with so maybe just get a kit with a bunch of different gram sizes? And while i was looking around i found something called slider weights? Dunno what those do. Help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys! :peace:
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: AF16E Spree swap, summer project!

Post by veedubh20 »

Here are the parts than you dont need..

2. PG Long Exhaust
3. SEF ramp Plate
6. 17x41 secondaries (8.44:1)
7. High Flow K&N
9. 90/90 rear tire

Correct parts.

Sr stock pipe does work well on stock pipe.
Get a Keli ramp.
7.1 gear
Pod filter.
3.00 tires. Note: 90/90-10 tire will rub on shock and rear mudflap.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

How does the stock pipe work well after you upgrade the engine 22cc's?
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

well,

the stock crank w/ polini corsa is 72cc.

Stock pipe is not loud and double the power. Better than stock bore!.

the S/Sr 50 trans is a good setup and longer running ( less trouble down on the road) w/ aftermarket gear and keli pulley kit.! Dont forget to add center spring Daytona Japan 1,000k only.

Pg pipe cost more to ship than borekit/gear/pulley/center spring.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:How does the stock pipe work well after you upgrade the engine 22cc's?
:crazy:

Buy the pipe....the stock pipe will restrict the polini
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
StrokedSr
Spree
Spree

Post by StrokedSr »

I kno a guy around here with a 90/90 and I have a 3.50 and neither hit.. It's stupid close but doesn't hit..
1988 yamaha zuma
polini evolution kit
polini evolution 2 exhaust
polini big reed manifold
dellorto 21mm
keli clutch
keli variator
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dubh says the Polini works well with the stock pipe, and I believe him. Polini Porting Magic might be nice in a torquey midrange application. Surely the PG Long will unleash a bit more power at the top end, however. Just not so sure it's $150 + Shipping's worth of extra power.

I have to disagree with the contention that the 90/90 will rub anywhere. Certainly not the shock, anyway. My Pirelli SL26 fouled with the (modified) centerstand I'd built, but nowhere else. Brands of tire can vary however.

The Michelin S1 3.50 definitely can rub the exhaust mounting lug webbing on the crankcase. Mine required the removal of 3/16ths of material, and even then the tire "grows" at high speed to make light contact. Again, brands vary in actual size even when the nominal size indicates they should be the same.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Guys this is spree with a dio swap. Veedub is talking about the 90/90 tire touching the rear fender and the shock mount sit in a bit more than the elite s so you have to shim it out a bit but still will touch a little with the 90/90 tire.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

i believe red spree has a bigger tire then the 90/90 on the rear with no rub it has to do with how you make your mounts if you make them then can be adjusted a lil if need be....
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes, a Spree/Dio swap changes my opinion. I have none, since I haven't tried one yet.
Sorry for doubting you Dubh... :(

FP I'd be careful about "adjusting" the mount if it puts the center plane of the rear tire anywhere but dead center. That can make for some interesting handling issues...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

i just dont see where it hits maybe with a bent rim but all of the bikes that traffic red spree spreetard and i have swapped have not had that problem with the bigger tires in the rear i didnt mean change how the motor is centered just up or down movement it ok though....
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

i guess maybe if you use the spree shock there could be problems.... but if you switch to the elite or ruckus shock it has a built in offset then should take care of any problem...... duh change out the spree shock that is the problem the spree shock doesnt have the offset thats why it would rub you switch that out no more rub!
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

veedubh20 wrote:well,

the stock crank w/ polini corsa is 72cc.

Stock pipe is not loud and double the power. Better than stock bore!.

the S/Sr 50 trans is a good setup and longer running ( less trouble down on the road) w/ aftermarket gear and keli pulley kit.! Dont forget to add center spring Daytona Japan 1,000k only.

Pg pipe cost more to ship than borekit/gear/pulley/center spring.
Okay so iguess what ill do is use the stock exhaust until i can get it running and decide what to do from there. Also, im weary about using the 7.1:1 gears because we do have significant hills around here and from what ive read they already dog a little on take off on level ground. Id hate to see what they would be like on a hill. So im pretty set on the 8.44:1.
Since the motor has close to 2900 miles on it, i need to replace the clutch shoes so i might as well opt for a better clutch (as Wheelman has suggested). And it makes sense.

As for the tranny i have no doubt it will last longer stock than with some aftermarket pieces but im doubting it will be able to reach 60+ with the stock vari and ramp. Thats why i want to get a keli vari with SEF ramp, especially if im using 8.44:1 secondaries.
bakaracer wrote:Guys this is spree with a dio swap. Veedub is talking about the 90/90 tire touching the rear fender and the shock mount sit in a bit more than the elite s so you have to shim it out a bit but still will touch a little with the 90/90 tire.
Alright ill take your word for it dubh. Its got a 3.0 tire on it now so maybe thats enough. The 3.0 is still bigger than the 2.75's that are going on the old motor so either way its an improvement! If I could fit a 3.5 i definately want to try. Do you know if i could fit the 3.5 without having it rub?
fastplastic wrote:i guess maybe if you use the spree shock there could be problems.... but if you switch to the elite or ruckus shock it has a built in offset then should take care of any problem...... duh change out the spree shock that is the problem the spree shock doesnt have the offset thats why it would rub you switch that out no more rub!
If thats the case then im real glad the motor has the elite shock with it!
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

FP I'd be careful about "adjusting" the mount if it puts the center plane of the rear tire anywhere but dead center. That can make for some interesting handling issues...
From what ive seen on the forum most people have had to make a new mount for the shock. IIRC traffic fit his motor without having to modify or make a mount by using an express shock or something? But i dont have one of those laying around

Thanks so much for all the feedback!
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

A 3.50 for sure will be tight. A 90/90 (3.54)is about the same width.the 3.50 is a bit taller than a 90/90. The 80/90 is about a the same as a 3.00
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Okay well i guess the 3.5 is worth a shot then!
Now i can use the 3.5 on the stock dio rim correct? I dont have to get a different one i hope
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt