Motor Keeps Seizing or Gears Getting Stuck...HELP

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Buya02
Noob
Noob

Motor Keeps Seizing or Gears Getting Stuck...HELP

Post by Buya02 »

First of all I am pretty excited I found this forum and wanted to say Hi, also I need your help already...And thank you for everything I already found on here

So I just bought a 85 Honda Spree Red in color from a garage sale. 1,300 miles pretty good condition, I paid $200.00 for it. The guy is actually my neighbor from up the street. It came with all the paperwork and documents. He told me the only thing wrong with it was the oil pump was bad. I did pretty much all the major tune up stuff (clean carb, filter, oil, lines, charge battery, etc) and bought a new/used oil pump.

Here are my questions:

1. After charging the battery the oil light came on ONLY (not the headlight or turn signals) and the horn worked. When I took it off the trickle charger, only the horn worked and now that will not even work. My battery is completely dead and needs to be replaced hu?

2. This bike has a kickstart installed and when I finally got a chance to try to kickstart it nothing happened. After 5-10 kick it started up for a quick second and died. When I went to kick it back on, felt like it was seized the kickstart would not budge. After I took the case off, and messed with the starter pinion and put the case back on I tried to start it again. Same exact thing happened (kicks over real quick, dies, seized.) So what is going on here? It really is wants to start, but something in the oil pump (gear maybe?) or the gears/belt/etc is not working properly and lining up. The starter pinion is really loose and pulls out off the little hole in the motor or block. When I put the case on, I make sure the starter pinion gear is all the way forward teeth lined up with the gear, and the dowel or metal rod that is between the pinion is in the motor hole. It just feels like it is in a angle or not lined up properly. Also when I spin the gear with the case off, the pinion gear spins back and stops. How does it rengage with the gear again by it self?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Also I am in So Cal by the way.

Here are some pics to show you guys what I am looking at:

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Motor Keeps Seizing or Gears Getting Stuck...HELP

Post by martynkim »

Pictures of the inside of the case would be helpful. Some damage could be there.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

First off, those pics are of the electric start and that is not causing your motor to sieize. Oh and that is pretty much normal looking.

Until you made sure the oil pump was working, did you put premix in the tank so the motor was being oiled for sure? If not you may have very well hurt the motor. Do a compression check, first.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
anijap
Noob
Noob

Post by anijap »

Have you checked if your engine is flooded?
The exact same thing was happening to mine: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =3&t=15856
Waiting on a new spark plug now to see if that fixes the problem.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

anijap wrote:Have you checked if your engine is flooded?
The exact same thing was happening to mine: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =3&t=15856
Read my last post on your thread. And no is motor is not hydraulicking.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Bear45-70 wrote:First off, those pics are of the electric start and that is not causing your motor to sieize. Oh and that is pretty much normal looking.

Until you made sure the oil pump was working, did you put premix in the tank so the motor was being oiled for sure? If not you may have very well hurt the motor. Do a compression check, first.
Ok ya I realized they were pics of the electric start, but it just felt like that was the problem in terms of gears getting caught.

Well I guess that is where I kind of messed up, I did not premix the tank to make sure oil was getting in there. I figured the lack of alittle bit of oil just to get the motor turned over and running for a few secs would not be a issue also the oil pump was working when it was pulled off the other spree. I will have to buy a compression check tool and try it out I guess.

You guys think I should buy a battery and try that out as well?
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

The engine was flooded from the faulty oil pump with the prior owner. I did however clean the spark plug (ordered one, but wasn't in stock) and tried to get the oil out best I could with a rag. I cannot do the electric start because my battery is dead. I may buy a battery and try it out before I put a new plug in there.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Buya02 wrote:

The engine was flooded from the faulty oil pump with the prior owner. I did however clean the spark plug (ordered one, but wasn't in stock) and tried to get the oil out best I could with a rag. I cannot do the electric start because my battery is dead. I may buy a battery and try it out before I put a new plug in there.

Recomend getting all the oil out before installing a plug. And get at least 2 of them.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
anijap
Noob
Noob

Post by anijap »

Buya02 wrote:

Haha then I guess it's the same problem as mine, except I am hoping mine did not have a faulty oil pump... just 6+ months sitting in the garage of previous owner.
I just ordered my spark plugs, supposed to get here on Wednesday.. let's hope that does the trick!

I would recommend getting a trickle charger and re-charging your battery that way instead of buying a new one. It will come handy in the future as well!
http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/bat ... 0-75a.html

Once your battery is charged, just try starting your spree quite a few times without the spark plug in until all the oil is out.
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

anijap wrote:
Buya02 wrote:

Haha then I guess it's the same problem as mine, except I am hoping mine did not have a faulty oil pump... just 6+ months sitting in the garage of previous owner.
I just ordered my spark plugs, supposed to get here on Wednesday.. let's hope that does the trick!

I would recommend getting a trickle charger and re-charging your battery that way instead of buying a new one. It will come handy in the future as well!
http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/bat ... 0-75a.html

Once your battery is charged, just try starting your spree quite a few times without the spark plug in until all the oil is out.

I do have a trickle charger, but the battery is not holding the charge. GL with your bike I am sure it will start right up.
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Ok so today I put a new plug in, put everything back together, and premixed my gas just in case. I kick started it, and same thing ran for 1 sec died, and then the kick start was stuck. I pulled the spark plug out, and started to kickstart it. The weird thing was, it was no longer seized. I am totally confused with what is going on here. Also there was some oil on the spark plug when I pulled it.

Options:

1. Need to do a compression check as stated on previous post.

2. Should I spend the 35 bucks for a battery to see if it will start that way?

Getting pretty frustrated here. Thanks guys.
ae86guy
Elite
Elite

Post by ae86guy »

do the compression check and get the new batt what ratio did you premix ur petrol to
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

anijap wrote:

I do have a trickle charger, but the battery is not holding the charge. GL with your bike I am sure it will start right up.
Jumper cables and a car battery works in a pinch. I do not totally recommend doing so but I have done it more than a few times.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

ALOW1 wrote:
anijap wrote:

Jumper cables and a car battery works in a pinch. I do not totally recommend doing so but I have done it more than a few times.
For testing purposes you can't hurt a thing with a car battery as long as you only crank the engine within Honda's recommended time frame.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Buya02
Noob
Noob

Post by Buya02 »

Ok here is a update. I went to Pep Boys and picked up a new battery. I installed it in the bike, and this is what I did;

1. Electric started it without the spark plug in for 5 sec a few times to get all the oil out of the motor as stated in previous posts.

2. Put the spark plug in, electric start, and the motor would seize up again?! Pull the plug out, and would be fine. Do it all over again, same results.

*?! I am soooooo annoyed at this point. What am I missing here guys? Can anybody please help me. Thank you!!