Ignition switch concern

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Piechey
BMX
BMX

Ignition switch concern

Post by Piechey »

Okay so my problem started about a year ago on the day I brought my spree home. The bike had an aftermarket ignition switch on it (which I would love to bypass) and would never start properly. The only way I can turn the engine over is to jump the starter and even then it would only run when the key was in the off position. I wrecked the bike last summer and started rebuilding immediately. I have recently started work on it again and have no spark and no apparent electricity going through the bike. I believe it somehow has to do with the switch because I do not believe it was ever worked properly. Toniggt I tried jumping the starter for the first time in a long time and realized that not only did I not have spark, I had no light, horn, starter, or anything else. With the key on or off the bike has no electrical power at all. I am very hands on and adequate with mechanics but electrical issues are not my forte. If any one could tell me in laymans terms what to look at now to find why I have no power at all and how to bypass the switch it would be greatly appreciated.
'84 Honda Spree (s**** broke mane)
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Re: Ignition switch concern

Post by Piechey »

Also I replaced Cdi and ignition wire after crash. I am not sure if this could have anything to do with it.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

You should be able to bypass the ignition switch by bridging out some wires and just use the kill switch as an on/off switch.

I have the wiring diagram saved on my pc so when i get to it i can tell you what colours to bridge out.

Have you checked the fuse on the smaller wire coming off the battery positive?
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

The fuse at the battery is in and for some reason blows frequently and the wires get very hot.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Some reason is what you must find. Previous owner left you with a puzzle to solve.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

Wheelman could it be the aftermarket switch that is wired improperly?
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Hmm sounds like you have a pretty decent wiring short there Piechey! There is a copy of the wiring diagram on the forum in the service manual section. Print it out on a decent sized piece of paper, get your multimeter out and start fault finding that baby ;)
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

Oh man this should be great haha I guess I'll read up on how to properly use a schematic for testing and then start digging into the problem. I'm wondering if at this point I should remove the harness and have somebody wire it completely custom to my liking.. I just want to ride again. UGH!!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

You might want to get it running before you go hacking into the wiring and changing too much...

The red fused wire from the battery supplies power to the ignition switch and the Regulator/rectifier. A quick test to identify if the fault lies within the ignition switch would be to unplug the 4 pin connector(or wires)that go to the ignition switch then replace the fuse. If it no longer blows then your ignition switch is probably faulty.

Check the continuity of the wire colours as per the pic that PTSG has posted above and make sure it's switching correctly. If the red is being switched to ground(green) you'll be popping that fuse in no time ;).

You can bypass the ignition switch by pulling the 4 pin connector and bridging between the Red and Black wires. Dont bridge the black/white and green or your scoot will think the kill switch is permanently on and have no spark. If you do bridge out the red and black i'd suggest you wire a switch in there to isolate the battery supply when you arent riding or your battery will slowly discharge itself. The only way to switch the scoot off will also be by using the kill switch if you do this ;)
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

Ultraliner, thank you for the simple insight you've just provided. I'm hoping to get out to the shop tonight and mess around with it. I think after how you just described the wiring in the ignition switch that it is wired completely improperly and it is causing the bike to think the kill switch is constantly on. I will keep you all updated. Thanks for being so helpful to a newb!
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

I'm working now and it's still acting as if the kill switch is always engaged after I've bypassed it and put a new fuse in. Nothing electrical is working
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

This issue seems to be getting deeper and deeper but I'm hoping I'm on to something here. So I've got my brake light in after bypassing the switch. I will worry about the starter later. With that being said I have no spark. I've tested my plug and coil on a different scoot we have out here at the shop and they work. I am not sure but I believe the CDI is the next thing j will need to look at.. I've read it is not a part that can be tested but I think I may order a new one to see if that is the issue
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

If you test with your multimeter on the Ohms range between the Black/white wire coming off the ignition switch and anywhere on the frame or engine of the scooter and you have continuity then you wont have any spark.

If there is continuity when you do this, try disconnecting the Black/white where it runs up to the kill switch(I think the junction for most of these wires is in behind the headlight?)and see if the black/white then goes open circuit to ground. If it does then your kill switch is also faulty. Continuity is made to ground when the kill or the ignition is in the off position to

Have you checked to make sure the fuse isnt still blowing? Some of them small wires may have melted together causing a short and blowing the fuse.

Check the wires where they plug in to the engine wiring loom too. I've had the black/red become disconnected down there which will cause your scoot to wind over but have no spark

Dont give up, you'll crack this nut!
Piechey
BMX
BMX

Post by Piechey »

Ultraliner, I am heading out to the shop after work tonight to test the resistance in the wires to the kill switch you mentioned. I forgot to mention to you that I am no longer blowing the fuse after removing the aftermarket ignition switch, at least not so far. So that is a good sign. I am, however, still concerned with the whole no spark issue. I have already ordered a new CDI to be safe but am really hoping that it is just a faulty killswitch. Also I had all the look removed and check wiring through the entire harness on the scoot a few months ago. I rechecked this past Monday and the resealed the harness. I will now be looking into the wires behind the headlight, per your recommendation. I will keep you updated man!